We are entering the season of the End-of-Grade testing. This season has proven to be the most stressful season of the school year for students, staff and parents. It is extremely stressful for the Language Arts and Math teachers as the test reflects there success in teaching
. As an elective teacher I sympathise with them however, a lot of sacrificing takes place for me as well.
I often think that people forget about the stress, anxiety, and requirements of test administrators. I speak from that perspective because of the consequences associated with making a mistake while administering. I remember as a first year teacher how nervous I was when receiving the in service as the counselor began to review the legalities involved as an administrator along with the severity of the consequences.
From a parental standpoint I appreciated the requirements but as an administrator of the test I second guessed if I wanted to participate. Non-participation was not an option so I read the material and studied it to ensure that I did not error. At this point I feel comfortable in this process but can not help but notice the look on the faces on the new teachers at the meeting. What are some suggestions to deal with the stress of this season?

Oh how I can relate! This time of year always seems to be the most difficult to manage doesn't it? It doesn't matter how long you've been in testing, it never seems to get any easier, ever! I guess the best advice I can give is... Rely on one another and ALWAYS know that there is someone out there willing to help, willing to lend a hand, willing to listen; even as they may be seeking guidance themselves:)!
ReplyDeleteMs Smith,
DeleteI can attest to the fact that you are and have been very helpful to me since I have worked with you. We are a team and we must work together for us all to be sucessful.
I believe as an experienced teacher of sixteen years, that a strong, supportive, and certified staff willing to mentor Novice teachers will provide coping measures to resolve the anxieties of testing. Having this continuous support to provide assistance throughout the year (not just at critical times of the year), as the entire year is pertinent to prepare for End of Grade/course Assessments, will minimize, relieve, or prevent anxiety if implemented correctly.
ReplyDeleteMichelle Hobbs
CTE Educator
Technology Facilitator
This was a great point that we must not just wait until test time but must be supportive the entire year especially for new teachers. Preparation is so important in any aspect of life and without it errors are inevitable.
DeleteAn EOG mis-administration looms large in every teacher's list of fears. I often wonder in our rush to get through an after school meeting if we don't create some of our own stresses?
ReplyDeleteHowever, I do believe that closer to the actual administration of the test, offering a Q&A session especially for first-time administrators would be helpful - I suspect that first-timers feel overwhelmed in the marathon training and need time to digest the material and see where they have questions - so offering a Q&A session would give them the opportunity in a less intimidating setting to get those questions answered.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI remember my first EOG testing experience in 1996. I was so worried that I would mess up or forget something. Then I saw the students and their anticipation of the testing. It was then that I realized that I needed to be calm for them before and during that testing period. Administrators, Proctors, and all those involved need to be calm not just for the sake of the students but also for each other.
ReplyDelete